Whether it’s brand-new or pre-loved, it’s vital to maintain your car. Regular maintenance will save you money and ensure that your hard-earned investment lasts a long time. Here are four car care and maintenance tips to prolong your car’s life span:
- Check Your Tires
Check your tires and make sure they have the recommended pressure. Doing so will help you get better gas mileage and prevent accidents like tire blowouts. Always make sure your spare tire is inflated properly as well.
- Check Your Fluid Levels
You should always check if these fluids are at the proper levels:
- Engine Oil – Have an oil change every 3,000 to 5,000 miles or every six months. This will ensure that your engine is properly lubricated with clean oil.
- Coolant – Replace your coolant every two to three years. But make sure it is at the recommended level, so your engine doesn’t overheat.
- Power Steering Fluid – Top off this fluid whenever it goes below the appropriate level. This will prevent problems with the steering.
- Brake Fluid – Maintaining proper brake fluid levels ensures that your brakes work correctly. It also prevents premature brake wear, prolonging the life of your braking system.
- Transmission Fluid – Replenish this every 50,000 to 100,000 miles so that your gears run smoothly. This also reduces wear and tear caused by friction.
- Fuel – It is good practice to keep fuel levels at least 1/4 full. Driving on low gas can damage your fuel pump. If you run out of gas, the car will break down. This results in serious engine damage.
- Clean Your Battery Terminals
All car batteries are susceptible to corrosion. Wipe the terminals with a rag, removing any dust and debris to prevent them from corroding.
If they are already corroded, disconnect the battery and apply a commercial-grade battery cleaning agent. If you don’t have one, a glass of water and a teaspoon of baking soda will also do the trick. Scrub the terminals, then rinse and dry them afterward. You can then apply anti-corrosion pads or petroleum jelly to prevent future corrosion.
- Clean Your Car Regularly
Debris like dirt, bugs, salt, and bird droppings should be cleaned immediately. If left unchecked, they will eventually damage your paint and cause rust spots. Regular cleaning will prevent body damage and extend your car’s lifespan.
Spending money for regular car care is cheaper than spending money for parts replacement. Prevention is better than cure; having planned car maintenance schedules allows your car to drive efficiently and last longer. GS Carwash Centre in Ontario is here to help you keep your car clean. Contact us for your car cleaning and detailing needs.